Major Richard Raymond Barker MC (Royal Air Force) is killed in action at age 23 near Bois de Hamel when his Sopwith Camel is shot down by Manfred von Richthofen. He is the Red Baron’s 79th victim and his body will never be found. He is a 6-victory ace.
Skipper George Hillam (HM Trawler Numitor, Royal Naval Reserve) is killed when his ship is sunk by a mine off Orfordness at age 52. His son had been killed in April 1915 while service in HMS Cornwallis at age 16.
Today’s losses include:
- A 6-victory ace killed by the Red Baron
- A man whose 16 year old son was killed in 1915 on HMS Cornwallis
- A Rhodes Scholar
- A Rugby International
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A man whose twin was killed five days earlier
- A family that will lose five sons in the Great War
- A footballer who played with three different clubs
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Reginald Harry Myburgh Hands (South African Heavy Artillery attached Royal Garrison Artillery) a Rhodes Scholar and international rugby football player dies of wounds at age 29. He is the son of ‘Sir’ Harry Hands KBE.
- Captain Eric Tatton (Royal Air Force) is killed at age 23. He is the son of the Reverend D Tatton.
- Lieutenant Thomas Alington Royds (General List attached Royal Air Force is killed at age 33. He is the son of the Reverend Nathaniel Royds Rector of Little Barford.
- Corporal Eustace Godfrey Kenny (Australian Machine Gun Corps) is killed in action. He is the son of the Reverend Robet Kenny York Peninsula Mission South Australian.
- Lance Corporal Charles Sydney Flatt (Northamptonshire Regiment) is killed at age 27. His brother was killed in April 1915.
- Private Archibald Buchanan McMillan (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) is killed in action at age 25. He was a football player of class repute having played outside left with Croy Celtic, Rob Roy Celtic and Ayr United.
- Private Alfred Souls (Cheshire Regiment) is killed in action at age 31, five days before his twin brother will meet the same fate. Three others brothers are also killed in the Great War.
- Private Joseph Allen (Machine Gun Corps) dies of wounds at age 22. His brother was killed last month.