Wednesday 3 November 1914 – We Lost 730

by greatwarliveslost

Royal Navy Ensign

Royal Navy Ensign

Drummer Spencer John Bent (East Lancashire Regiment) brings into cover some wounded men, who are lying, exposed to enemy fire, in the open.

Brigadier General Aitken and many of the staff of the Indian Expeditionary Force ‘B’ disembark at 16:00 and set up shop in a building they identify as the White House on the outskirts of Tanga. A building with a red roof, called the Red House is converted into a hospital, although bandages, medicines and other medical supplies will not be landed until after the battle starts. By 20:00 the landing force is at last ashore. As expected, the landing is unopposed.  A few patrols are sent out though no one seems certain where the enemy might be. The sepoys are nervous, and when someone accidentally fires a rifle, the 13th Rajputs and the 61st Pioneers panic, rise up and rush for the shore. It is only with great difficulty that their officers persuade them to return to their bivouac.

Winston Churchill arranges with the head of Bethlehem Steel, that Great Britain will purchase eight 14-inch guns needed for newly commissioned monitors. They were originally constructed by Bethlehem for a Greek battleship under construction in Germany.

The Admiralty sends Vice Admiral Sackville H Carden the following message: “Without risking the ships a demonstration is to be made by bombardment against the forts at the entrance to the Dardanelles”.  He is ordered to retire before return fire becomes effective.  Early this morning an Allied squadron under Carden bombards the forts with the battle cruisers HMS Indefatigable and HMS Indomitable, allowing eight rounds per turret.  Two French battleships join the attack.  The fortress on the northern shore, Sedd-ul-Bahr, is hit and its powder magazine blown up, while Turkish counter-fire is ineffective.

Second Lieutenant Francis Pepys (Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry) performs conspicuously good work in advancing from his trench and assisting in driving away a party of the enemy who are beginning to dig a new trench within 30 yards of his own. Thirty of the enemy will be shot during this engagement. Lieutenant Pepys will be killed in nine days.

 Today’s losses include:

  •  A man whose wife’s great grandfather was wounded at Waterloo
  • Multiple sons of clergy
  • Grandson of clergy
  • Multiple families that will lose two and three sons
  • Son of a General
  • Grandson of a Baronet
  • Son-in-law of a Baronet
  • A man whose brother-in-law will be killed
  • Scottish International Rugby footballer
  • Nephew of a Member of Parliament
  • Nephew of a General
  • Son of a Justice of the High Court of Bombay

Three German cruisers appear off Yarmouth and shell the town of Lowestoft for fifteen minutes without any significant effect. HM Submarines D5 and E10 are ordered to intercept the enemy off Terschelling. While proceeding on the surface to the interception point, D5 (Lieutenant Commander Godfrey Herbert) strikes a drifting mine and sinks.  There are six survivors including the commander while 21 of the crew are lost.

  •  Lieutenant Donald Francis O’Callaghan Brodie is among those lost at age 26. He is the grandson of the Reverend William Brodie.
  • Engine Room Artificer William John Copland killed at age 33. His brother was lost in the sinking of HMS Amphion in August.

 Others lost today include: 

  • Major Frederick Manners-Smith(Gurkha Rifles) dies of wounds received the previous day at age 43.  He is the youngest son of the late Surgeon General Charles Manners-Smith.
  • Captain George Millais James (East Kent Regiment) Brigade Major 2nd Infantry Brigade VII Division is killed by a sniper at age 34. He is the grandson of ‘Sir’ John Millais Baronet and painter. He is the son-in-law of ‘Sir’ James Heath Baronet who lost a son in September.
  • Captain Lewis Robertson (Cameron Highlanders) dies of wounds received the previous day at age 31. He is a Scotland International Rugby player played for a number of clubs including Fettesian-Lorettonian, London Scottish, Monkstown and the Edinburgh Wanderers.
  • Lieutenant Raymond Philip Drummond Nolan (Black Watch) is killed at age 31. He is the nephew of Lieutenant Colonel J P Nolan MP.
  • Lieutenant Geoffrey Dorman Partridge (Welsh Regiment) is killed at age 23. His brother was killed two days ago on HMS Good Hope.
  • Lieutenant Martin James Richardson (Royal Army Medical Corps) is killed by a shell. He is the nephew of Major General George B Heaste Royal Army Medical Corps. The same shell will wound Captain Thomas McCann Phillips (Royal Army Medical Corps) who will die of his wounds tomorrow.
  • Lieutenant Laurence George Hart (Pioneers Indian Army) is killed at Tanga at age 37. He is the nephew of Major General Fitzroy Hart-Synnot CB CMG and General ‘Sir’ Reginald Clare Hart VC KCB KCVO. His wife’s great grandfather was wounded at Waterloo.
  • Lieutenant Maurice Charles Day (Rajputs Indian Army) is killed at Tanga at age 23. He is the son of the Very Reverend Maurice W Day Dean of Waterford.
  • Second Lieutenant Arthur Nelson Coxe(Royal Field Artillery) dies of wounds at age 19. His two brothers will be killed later in the war, the first in January 1915 the second on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. They are sons of Justice Coxe Judge of the High Court of Calcutta.
  • Corporal Edward Hugh Mainwaring Furley (East Africa Mounted Rifles) is killed at Lungido, East Africa at age 28. He is the son of the Reverend Edward Mainwaring Furley.
  • Private Bertie Bruce(Norfolk Regiment) dies of wounds. His brother will be killed in Baghdad in 1916.
  • Private William Simcox (South Staffordshire Regiment) is killed at age 35. His brother will be killed in September 1918.
  • Private Albert Greenwood (Dragoon Guards) is killed at age 22. His brother will be killed on the same day in 1917.

Skipper George Alfred Gower (fishing trawler Will and Maggie) is killed when his ship strikes a mine and sinks seventeen miles northeast of Lowestoft. The crew of six is lost.