HMAS Sydney steams into Colombo harbor. Captain John Glossop has telegraphed a special request that out of consideration for the 65 wounded Germans on board, there should be no cheering when his ship passes through.
By now General Charles Dobell’s force have secured Buea, Cameroon with Soppo and Victoria.
Today’s losses include:
- A holder of the Royal Humane Society Certificate for Life Saving
- Grandson of a General
- Grandson of an Admiral
- Son-in-law of a General
- Member of the Marylebone Cricket Club
- Hampshire Cricket player
- Multiple sons of Justice’s of the Peace
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great war
Today’s highlighted casualty is
Lieutenant Robert Randle Egerton (Royal Engineers) is killed in age 26. He is a holder of the Royal Humane Society’s certificate for saving a man from drowning. He is also the grandson of General Richard Shubrick.
- Major John Hamon Massie DSO (Royal Garrison Artillery) dies of wounds received two days earlier. He is the grandson of Admiral Thomas Leche Massie and son-in-law of Major General E A Berger. He served at Chitral 1895 and in the South African War.
- Captain Geoffrey Percy Robert Toynbee (Rifle Brigade) is killed at age 29. He played cricket for Hampshire and is a member of Marylebone Cricket Club.
- Captain Algernon Beresford Smyth(King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry) is killed at age 30. He is the son of Devaynes Smyth DL JP. He is a tennis and cricket player, member of the Free Foresters and Yorkshire Gentlemen Cricket Clubs and his only brother Captain C D Smyth (Irish Rifles) was wounded last month.
- Sergeant Charles Frederick Heath (Berkshire Regiment) is killed at age 28. His brother will be killed next March.
- Lance Corporal Andrew Leith (Northumberland Fusiliers) is killed at age 25. His brother was killed two months ago.
- Private Albert Victor Jones (Honorable Artillery Corps) is killed near Wulverghem at age 27. He is the son of the late John Jones JP and Jane Margaret Jones JP.
- Rifleman John Joseph McGibney (Irish Rifles) is killed. His brother will be killed next June.