Monday 25 January 1915 – We Lost 523
German troops carry out a large scale offensive in the Cuinchy sector penetrating into the La Bassee Canal salient, forcing the Scots Guards and Coldstream Guards back to partially prepared positions 500 yards west of the Railway Triangle.
British forces raid Alexandretta, Syria and cut telegraph wires.
Today’s losses include:
- A son of the 3rd Baron Stratheden and Campbell
- A man whose son will be killed later in the war
- A well known cricket player and athlete
- Two brothers killed together
- A family that will lose two more sons in the war
- Multiple families that will lose one more son
- The son of a Baronet
- A Rugby Union player
- The son of a member of the clergy
- The son of the Advocate-General of Bombay
Today’s highlighted casualty is
Captain ‘The Honorable’ John Beresford Campbell (Coldstream Guards) killed at age 48. He is the eldest son of the 3rd Baron Stratheden and Campbell and has of son of his who will be killed while serving in the same regiment in July 1916.
- Lieutenant Percy Dale Kendall (Liverpool Regiment) is killed at age 36. He is a former Rugby Union player.
- Lieutenant Geoffrey Valentine Francis Monckton (Scots Guards) killed at age 19. His older brother was killed last November.
- Second Lieutenant George Carlyon Armstrong (Coldstream Guards) is killed at age 18. He is the son of Commander ‘Sir’ George Elliot Armstrong 2nd
- Second Lieutenant Arthur Horace Lang (Grenadier Guards) is killed at age 24. He is the son of Basil Lang Advocate-General of Bombay.
- Second Lieutenant Clive William Murray-Menzies (Black Watch) is killed in action at age 20. His younger brother will be killed in action in August 1917.
- Second Lieutenant Francis Henry Stanley (Border Regiment attached Welsh Regiment) is killed at age 20. He is the son of the Reverend John Hawkesworth Vicar of Ambleside.
- Second Lieutenant Gareth Hamilton-Fletcher (Grenadier Guards attached Scots Guards) a well-known athlete is killed at age 21.
- Second Lieutenant Harold Sterndale Entwistle Bury (Grenadier Guards) is killed at age 26. His brother will be killed in December of this year.
- Brothers Arnold and Clive Baxter are killed together while serving as Lance Corporals in the Coldstream Guards.
- Lance Corporal Walter Dent (Border Regiment) is killed at age 32. His broher will be killed in March 1917.
- Lance Corporal Geoffrey Frisch (Sussex Regiment) is killed at age 25.His two brothers will be killed in 1916.
- Private Alfred Lovell Stone (Sussex Regiment) is killed at age 20. His brother will be killed in July 1917 at St Julian.
- Private James Arthur Blackmore (Scots Guards) is killed at age 33. His brother will be killed next May.
- Private Wilfred Richard Facey (Coldstream Guards) is killed at age 21. His brother was killed last November.
- Private James George Price (Gloucestershire Regiment) is killed at age 28. His brother will die of wounds in August.