Monday 8 February 1915 – We Lost 153
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose another son in the Great War
- The son of a member of the clergy
- The son of a Surgeon General
Today’s highlighted casualty is
Major John Harold Slade-Powell (Royal Field Artillery) is killed at age 33. He is the son of the Reverend John Powell Rector of St Clements’s.
- Captain Wilfrid Innocent Maunsell (Cameronians) is killed at age 31. His brother will be killed landing at Gallipoli on 25 April of this year and they are sons of Surgeon General Thomas Maunsell.
- Lieutenant Charles Melville Cottrell-Dormer DSO (Coldstream Guards) is killed in action at age 22. His brother was killed in October 1914.
- Private Frank William Backler (Suffolk Regiment) dies at home. His brother will be killed in action in September 1916.