Sunday 14 February 1915 – We Lost 217
Germans take British trenches near St Eloi.
Today’s losses include:
- A full back for the Bolton Wanderers
- The son of a member of clergy
- Multiple families that lost another son in the war
Today’s highlighted casualty is
Captain Angus Virtue Makant (North Lancashire Regiment) is killed at age 26. He played cricket at Harrow against Eton and was a full back on the Bolton Wanderers reserve team.
- Major William Hawtrey White (Irish Regiment) is killed at age 42. He is the son of the late Reverend James White Vicar of St Peter’s Paddington.
- Second Lieutenant Charles Edward Beausire (London Regiment) is killed in action at age 20. His older brother will be killed in one month.
- Private Charles Richard George (East Kent Regiment) is killed at age 23. His brother will be killed in October 1916.