Friday 14 May 1915 – We Lost 517
The first FE2b pushers arrive in France and are posted to 6th Squadron at Abeele.
The Times correspondent Colonel Charles Repington’s first dispatch on the shell shortage in France, fed by information provided by John French, is published.
The internment of enemy aliens in Great Britain begins.
Today’s losses include:
- A battalion commander
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- Multiple sons of Generals
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- The grandson of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties are:
- Lieutenant Colonel Walter Lorenzo Alexander (commanding 2nd Yorkshire Regiment) is killed by a shell fragment believed to be from a British gun at Festubert at age 42.
- Major George Dighton Probyn Swinley (Sikhs) is killed at age 40 on Gallipoli. He is the son of Major General George Swinley CB.
- Lieutenant Duncan MacIntyre Grant-Ferguson (King’s Own Scottish Borderers) dies of wounds at age 21. He is the son of the late Reverend John Grant-Ferguson who will lose another son in May 1916.
- Lieutenant Richard Collingwood Fetherstonhaugh (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) dies of wounds at home at age 22. His brother was killed in October and they are sons of Major General R S Fetherstonhaugh.
- Second Lieutenant Walter Hugh Raley (York and Lancaster Regiment) is killed at age 21. His brother will be killed next month.
- Second Lieutenant Gerald Wellesley Pigott (Royal Field Artillery) dies of wounds at age 18. He is the grandson of the Reverend Wellesley Pole Pigott.
- Sergeant John Cooper (Irish Regiment) is killed in action at Ypres. His brother will die of wounds in August 1917.
- Private James Victor Ransom (Gloucestershire Regiment) is killed at age 26. His brother was killed in November 1914.
- Private Walter Hampton (London Regiment) dies of wounds at home received when shot in the neck on 16 January. The 23-year old dies eleven days after his brother was killed in action.
- Gunner Stanley Rice (Royal Horse Artillery) is killed at age 26. His brother will be killed in August on Gallipoli.