Thursday 3 June 1915 – We Lost 266

by greatwarliveslost

Berkhamsted Cricket Club

Berkhamsted Cricket Club

The first combat for the new FE2a two-seater is recorded over the Houthulst Wood.  The pilot Captain Louis Arbon Strange and his observer Lieutenant George Alec Parker see an enemy column while flying very low. Captain Strange record the first effective British bombing attack of the war when he drops a home-made petrol bomb on a German truck near Mons. The vehicle swerves off the road and catches fire. The blazing petrol also ignites the following truck.  Lieutenant Parker will be killed in action after being awarded the DSO and MC when he is shot down in November 1916 by Werner Voss.

The 1st/5th Royal Scots move to the firing line near Fir Tree Wood on Gallipoli and are ordered to hold this line at all costs during the planned attack for the next day.  The Empress of Britain arrives in Alexandria, Egypt with the 1st/4th Royal Scots.  The battalion is moved by train to Aboukir.

The town of Amara, on the left bank of the Tigris River some 520 kilometers from the sea is occupied by the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force.

 Today’s losses include:

  •  A member of the Berkhamsted Town Cricket Club
  • A Scottish Rugby International
  • Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War

 Today’s highlighted casualties are:

  • Captain David McLaren Bain (Gordon Highlanders) is killed at age 24. He is a Scottish Rugby International who captained against Wales 1914.
  • Lieutenant Charles Henry Raymond West (Middlesex Regiment) is killed at age 21. He is a member of the Berkhamsted Town Cricket Club.
  • Second Lieutenant Murray Drummond-Fraser (Cheshire Regiment) is killed in action at age 21. He is the son of ‘Sir’ Drummond Drummond-Fraser and his younger brother will be killed in 1918.
  • Quartermaster Sergeant David Llewellyn Rogers DCM (Seaforth Highlanders) dies of wounds at age 26. His brother also a winner of the DCM and serving in the Seaforth Highlanders will be killed in October 1917.