Thursday 24 June 1915 – We Lost 204
Lieutenant Richard Burton (Sherwood Foresters) dies of wounds received the previous day when he is shot by a sniper while on duty in the trenches. He is one of triplets (the sister survived) but his brother was killed in action by a sniper in January of this year.
Today’s losses include:
- A member of the Waihi City Rugby Football Club
- A son of a member of the clergy
- Multiple men whose family will lose another son in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties are:
- Major John Grover (Royal Marines, Plymouth Battalion Royal Naval Division) is killed in action on Gallipoli at age 39. He is the son of the Reverend John Grover.
- Sapper Burt Hunt (New Zealand Engineers) dies of wounds in Alexandria at age 25. He is a member of the Waihi City Rugby Football Club. Private Harold Haggar (Royal West Kent Regiment) is killed at age 19. His brother will be killed next June.