Tuesday 27 July 1915 – We Lost 161
Submarine E16 sinks the German torpedo boat V188 in the North Sea.
Today’s losses include:
- The amateur middleweight boxing champion of New Zealand
- Two brothers killed together by the same shell
- A man whose brother will die on service of pneumonia next year
Today’s highlighted casualties are:
- Captain Guy William Hopton (Berkshire Regiment) is killed on Gallipoli at age 34. His brother will die in Alexandria of pneumonia next March.
- Brothers and Privates Clarence, 22, and Percy Linnell, 19, are killed by the same shell while serving with the Lincolnshire Regiment.
- Private Harold Phillip James Childs (Otago Infantry) dies of enteric fever on Gallipoli. He is the amateur middleweight boxing champion of New Zealand.