Thursday 29 July 1915 – We Lost 153
Today’s losses include:
- The commanding General of the 48th (South Midland) Division dies on service
- The son of a General
- A 16-year old boy
- Multiple men who will lost a brother in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties are:
- Major General Henry Newport Charles Heath CB, commanding South Midland Division, dies at home at age 55. He is the son of Major General Alfred Heath.
- Captain Meaburn Staniland (Lincolnshire Regiment) is killed by a sniper while visiting a sentry post in the morning. He is killed at age 36 and his younger brother was killed in April of this year while serving in the same regiment.
- Corporal Basil Raymond (Rifle Brigade) is killed in action at age 19. His older brother will be killed in action tomorrow serving in a different battalion of the same regiment. The brothers are both commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.
- Private Walter Samson Wakely (Australian Infantry) dies of pneumonia in England before his battalion leaves for services overseas. He dies at age 16.