Tuesday 3 August 1915 – We Lost 163
At 14:30 a German trench mortar bomb lands on the side of a parapet of a communication trench between Cambrin and La Bassee in which Second Lieutenant George Arthur Boyd-Rochfort is standing close to a small working party of his battalion. He might easily have stepped back a few yards around the corner into safety but instead he shouts to his men to look out, he rushes at the bomb and seizes it and hurls it over the parapet where it at once explodes. For his bravery Boyd-Rochford will be awarded the Victoria Cross.
Today’s losses include:
• A Justice of the Peace
• A Gentleman Usher to His Majesty the King
• The brother-in-law of Lord Albermarle
• A man who will have two sons killed on service
• A man who is the son of a member of the clergy
• The son of a Member of Parliament
• Multiple men who will have a brother killed in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties are:
• Colonel William Leslie Davidson CB (Royal Horse Artillery) dies of heart failure at age 65 on the Western Front. He served in the Zulu War, 1879; Afghan War, 1880; South African War 1899. He was a Gentleman Usher to His Majesty the King, JP for County Kincardine and husband of Lady Theodora Davidson sister of Lord Albemarle. His sons Captain Donald Alastair Leslie Davidson MC (Royal Flying Corps) and Lieutenant Colonel Colin Keppel Davidson will be killed on active service, Donald in 1917 and Colin in 1943.
• Lieutenant Hugh Anthony Rupert Crookham (Cambridgeshire Regiment) dies of meningitis as a result of head wounds received in action from a rifle grenade one month earlier at age 22. He is the son of the Reverend Canon W T R Crookham, the former Vicar of Haddenham.
• Private Edgar McIvor Jennings (Wellington Infantry) is killed at age 19. He is the son of W T Jennings MP who will have a second son die of wounds at Loos.
• Rifleman Norman Vickers (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) is killed at age 20. His brother will be killed in October.
• Private John Ross Sharp (Gordon Highlanders) is killed at age 19. His twin brother will be also lose his life in the Great War.