Wednesday 4 August 1915 – We Lost 165

by greatwarliveslost

Submarine C33

Submarine C33

British losses in the first year of the war are put at 75,957 killed, 252,000 wounded and 55,000 missing.

Submarine C33 (Lieutenant Gerald Ernest Berkeley Carter) has been operating with the trawler Malta in an attempt to entice German submarines into attacking the trawler and having completed their patrol C33 and the Malta part company at 20:15. The last contact with the submarine is a wireless message at 21:50. No further contact is made and a search fails to locate any wreckage or survivors. The Germans make no claims for her sinking and it is believed she stikes a mine.  Lieutenant Carter is lost at age 29.  He is the son of Brigadier General F C Carter CB.  Sub Lieutenant Colin James Buchanan dies on board.  The 25 year old is the son of Brigadier General K J Buchanan.

Three hundred Indian troops reach Seistan near Afghanistan.

The Canadian Minister of Militia and Defence begins an 11-day visit to France while the First Sea Lord visits the Harwich force.

Today’s losses include:

  • An author on military matters
  • Two sons of Brigadier Generals
  • The son of a Justice of the Peace
  • The son of a member of the clergy
  • A 16-year old boy

Today’s highlighted casualties are:

Major Raymond Sheffield Hamilton-Grace (Hussars) is killed in an auto accident at Hazebrouck at age 34. He is the only son of the late Colonel Sheffield Hamilton-Grace JP late of the Durham Light Infantry.  He is the author of several important articles on military matters, as well as a work entitled “Finance and War”.  Major Hamilton-Grace was originally gazetted to the Durham Light Infantry joining his Regiment in India. He served in the South African War and received the Queen’s Medal with two clasps, and the King’s Medal with two clasps. He then entered the Staff College at Camberley as a Captain, and from there transferred to the Hussars, at that time stationed in India, where he became a well-known steeplechase rider and polo player. On his return to England he was appointed Instructor of Tactics at the Cavalry School at Netheravon, during which time he obtained his pilot’s certificate for aviation. On the outbreak of the War he was acting as Brigade-Major to General de Lisle, 2nd Cavalry Brigade, a post he held until his promotion to the Staff of the Cavalry Corps under General Allenby, serving later in the same capacity under General Byng. He was present through the Retreat from Mons, and, on the recommendation of the General Commanding the French Forces, was awarded the Croix de Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur for gallantry in the field he was also twice mentioned in ‘Sir’ John French’s Despatches.

  • Lieutenant Selwyn Long Innes (Lancashire Regiment) is killed in action. He is the son of the Reverend Reginald Gipp Long-Innes.
  • Lieutenant Harold John Osborne (Hampshire Regiment) is killed in action at age 21 in the Middle East. He is the son of the late Reverend George Edward Caulfield Osborne Rector of Botley.
  • Private Alexander Joseph Hearn (Australian Infantry) dies of wounds received on Gallipoli in England. He is considered to be the youngest solider to leave with the New South Wales contingents and dies at age 16.