Wednesday 22 September 1915 – We Lost 196
Major General Frederick Drummond Vincent Wing 3rd Division is wounded slightly.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a member of the cleargy
- A man whose brother will also lose his life in the Great War
- A man whose two brothers will be killed
Today’s highlighted casualties are:
- Lieutenant Arthur Joseph Steele (East Yorkshire Regiment) is killed in action at age 34 in Gallipoli. He is the son of the late Reverend J Steele.
- Private Wilfred Towse (Royal Army Medical Corps) is killed in action on Gallipoli at age 21. He survived the sinking of the Royal Edward last month.
- Private Francis Cox (Irish Regiment) dies of wounds in Egypt at age 22. His brother will die of wounds in August 1917.
- Private Harry Austin (Northamptonshire Regiment) is killed on Gallipoli at age 23 as the middle of three brothers who are killed in the Great War.