Tuesday 5 October 1915 – We Lost 302
Sixteen members of the Naval Ordnance Department on Malta are killed in an accidental explosion while filling hand grenades.
Today’s losses include:
- The Captain of the Earlston Rugby Football Club
- Multiple brothers who will lose one or two brothers
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lance Corporal Herbert John Abdey (Berkshire Regiment) is killed at age 24. His brother died on service at home in August 1914.
- Private James Lawrence Nuttall (East Lancashire Regiment) dies of wounds received in action. His two brothers will be killed in 1918.
- Private Walter Clegg (King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry) is killed at age 24. His brother will be killed next September. Private Robert Bryson (Cameron Highlanders) dies of wounds received 25th September at age 22. He is the Captain of Earlston Rugby Football Club.
- Private W H Lilliman (Sherwood Foresters) is killed. He is the first of three brothers who will be killed by October of next year.