Friday 12 November 1915 – We Lost 204
British forces under General Townshend advance to within seven miles of Ctesiphon, while the Shah of Persia receives Allied Ministers and declares himself a friend.
Great Britain annexes the Gilbert and Ellice Islands.
Today’s losses include:
- A Victoria Cross winner
- A Brigadier General
- A man whose uncle died of wounds during the siege of Sevastopol in 1855
- A battalion commander
- The son of a Baronet
- A man whose son will be killed in the Second World War
- The 11th Earl of Seafield
- Grandson of the 1st Earl of Munster
- Multiple families who will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Brigadier General Charles Fitzclarence VC (Irish Guards) is killed in action at age 49. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions on 14th October 1899 during the South African War. His paternal grandfather was George Augustus Frederick FitzClarence, 1st Earl of Munster, an illegitimate son of William, Duke of Clarence (later King William IV) and he had an uncle who died of wounds during the Siege of Sevastopol in the Crimea War in 1855. He married Violet Spencer-Churchill daughter of Lord Alfred Spencer-Churchill and a granddaughter of the sixth Duke of Marlborough on 20th April 1898.
- Lieutenant Colonel Gerald Hugh Charles Madden (commanding 1st Irish Guards) dies of wounds at home. He is the son-in-law of ‘Sir’ George Macpherson Grant 3rd Baronet and his son will be killed in April 1943.
- Captain James Ogilvie-Grant (Cameron Highlanders) the 11th Earl of Seafield dies of wounds at age 39. He is the 30th Chief of the Clan Grant and son of the 10th
- Captain Henry Gamul Farmer (Seaforth Highlanders) dies of wounds as a prisoner of war received in September at age 28. His brother will be killed next August.
- Trooper John Murray Hall (Australian Light Horse) dies of septicemia in Alexandria from wounds received one week earlier on Gallipoli. His brother will die of wounds in August 1918.
- Private Frederick Charles Sprott (Otago Regiment) dies of wounds at age 20. His brother was killed last August.