Friday 24 December 1915 – We Lost 251
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain John Broadwood Atkinson (Irish Fusiliers) is killed at age 21. He is the son of Joseph Atkinson DL.
- Captain Harold Esmond Haddon (Indian Infantry) is killed in action at age 26 in the Middle East. He is the son of the late Thomas Haddon, formerly 2nd Classical Master of City of London School.
- Captain George Pottinger Cox (Essex Regiment) is killed on Gallipoli at age 22. He is the son of the Reverend Alexander George Innocent Cox.
- Lieutenant Arthur Gilbey Shaw (Sherwood Foresters) is killed in action at age 19. He is the son of the Right Reverend E D Shaw of Christ Church, Oxford and the middle of three brothers who will lose their lives in the Great War.
- Private Leonard Lee Kennard (Royal Scots Fusiliers) dies of wounds near Ypres at age 17. His older brother was killed in the same general vicinity in May of this year.