Monday 10 January 1916 – We Lost 171
‘Sir’ Archibald Murray’s command in Egypt is limited to the country east of a line five miles west of the Suez Canal. ‘Sir’ John Maxwell is put in command in the remainder of Egypt.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a General
- Two brothers killed together
- Families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Trevor Thomas (Royal Welsh Fusiliers) is killed in action at age 18. His two brothers will be killed in July 1917 and July 1918 flying. They are sons of Brigadier General ‘Sir’ Owen Thomas.
- Corporal Edward H and Lance Corporal Philip H Tennant (Middlesex Regiment) are buried in adjacent graves in Cambrin Military Cemetery after being killed in action.
- Private Frank Simpson (Middlesex Regiment) is killed at age 25. His brother will be killed in July.