Wednesday 12 January 1916 – We Lost 201
The Military Service Bill secures a second reading.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Edgar Francis Wanklyn Cobbold (Cheshire Regiment) is killed in action. His brother was killed last September and they are sons of the Reverend Robert Russell Rector of Hitcham.
- Second Lieutenant Robert George Henry Copeman (Essex Regiment) is killed at age 21. He is the son of the Reverend Robert Copeman Vicar of Everton.
- Second Lieutenant Sidney Cornelius Hathaway (Royal Flying Corps) is killed in action as an observer when Max Immelmann shoots down his Vickers FB5 over Cambrai. The 18-year old joined 11 Squadron three days prior after being commissioned on 27th December 1915.
- Private George Henry Ward (Quebec Regiment) is killed at age 24. His brother was killed in October last year.