Tuesday 25 January 1916 – We Lost 177
General Aylmer encamps at El Owasa, Orah.
General Smuts is appointed to command in East Africa.
Today’s losses include:
- A General
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two or three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Brigadier General George Benjamin Hodson CB DSO (commanding 33rd Indian Brigade, 11th Division) dies of wounds received in action at Malta at age 53. He was wounded in the head by a sniper at Suvla Bay on 14th December 1915 while looking over a parapet.
- Lieutenant Alfred Noel Garrod (Royal Army Medical Corps) is killed at age 28. He is the middle of three sons of ‘Sir’ Archibald E Garrod KCMG Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford who will lose their lives in the Great War.
- Second Lieutenant Stephen Mewburn Orford (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) is killed at age 27. He is the son of Canon Horace William Orford.
- Second Lieutenant Robert Basil Furley (Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry) is killed by a sniper shot to the head at age 27. He is the son of the Reverend Henry Furley Rector of Kingsworth and his brother will be killed in November 1917.