Tuesday 15 February 1916 – We Lost 283
Today’s losses include:
- An England Tennis and Hockey international player
- A First Class Cricket player
- A West Bromwich Albion footballer
- A West Ham United footballer
- Multiple families that will lose two sons
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Colonel Edwy Baxter (114th Canadian Infantry) dies on service in Canada at age 37. He is the son of the late Honorable Jacob Baxter.
- Second Lieutenant Harold Godfrey Bache (Lancashire Fusiliers) is killed at age 26. He played in 20 first class cricket matches between 1907 and 1910. He was also a fine footballer playing for West Bromwich Albion and winning an England amateur cap. He also played Tennis and Hockey for England.
- Sergeant Major Frank Cannon (Essex Regiment) is killed at age 32. He played football for West Ham United in 1909 and 1910.
- Private Harry Barnes (South Staffordshire Regiment) is killed in action at age 23. His brother will die at home two weeks after the Great War ends.
- Private Francis James Morley (Royal Fusiliers) is killed at age 21. His brother was killed last July.