Thursday 17 February 1916 – We Lost 1916
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Grammar School Headmaster
- A son of the member of the clergy
- A family that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Maurice James Banister (The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment) is killed in action at age 23. He is the son of the Reverend Edmund Dawson Banister.
- Second Lieutenant James Douglas Tombs (Border Regiment) dies of illness at age 27. He is the son of the Headmaster of Haverfordwest Grammar School and his brother died of wounds last September.
- Private Hugh Hargreave Wyatt-Smith (London Regiment) dies in Italy of appendicitis at age 18.