Sunday 27 February 1916 – We Lost 257
The armed merchantman SS Maloja is mined and sunk 2 miles southwest from the Dover Pier killing 122.
Today’s losses include:
- A grandson of the 1st Earl of Ravensworth
- A Rhodes scholar
- A man that will lose a brother in four days
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Commander Seymour Fisher-Rowe (HMS Falmouth, Royal Navy) dies of illness at home at age 39. He is the son of Lady Victoria Fisher-Rowe and grandson of 1st Earl of Ravensworth.
- Second Lieutenant Andrew William McGregor (Black Watch) is killed in action at age 22. He is a Rhodes Scholar.
- Private Fred Tyerman (Yorkshire Regiment) is killed at age 18. His brother will be killed in four days.