British forces occupy Barani in western Egypt.
The hired trawlers Angelus and Weigelia are sunk by mines off Dover with a loss of three including the skipper of Angelus Richard Saunders who is killed at age 26.
Today’s losses include:
- A man whose brother will die on service on the same day in 1919
- A man who is killed on his 23rd birthday
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Private Harry Wilkins (Suffolk Regiment) is killed in action on his 23rd He went out to France 9th January and was working with a party filling sandbags when he is shot through the head and killed.
- Trooper Albert Lawrence Brown (Canadian Mounted Rifles) dies on service in Canada at age 27. His brother will die on service on the same day in 1919.
- Private Sidney Rodgers (Lincolnshire Regiment) is killed at age 20. His brother died on service in September 1914 in India.