The Battle of Kilimanjaro ends as South African forces occupy Arusha.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- A Glasgow Rangers footballer
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain George Welsby Deakin (Royal Engineers) dies of illness at age 38. He is the son of Thomas Deakin JP.
- Lance Corporal John Fleming (Cameron Highlanders) dies of wounds. He is a player for the Glasgow Rangers Football Club.
- Private Don Sutherland (Seaforth Highlanders) dies of wounds received in action at age 24. His brother will die at home in November 1918.
- Rifleman Raymond Edward Barnes (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) dies of wounds at age 19. His brother will die of wounds in November 1918.
- Private James Donald McLeod (Scottish Horse) is accidentally killed at home at age 19. His brother will be killed in April 1917.
- Gunner Charles Thomas Coverdale (Royal Field Artillery) is killed at age 38. His brother will be killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.