Saturday 8 April 1916 – We Lost 236
At dawn the 13th Division attacks at Fallahiyeh. Some men penetrate the first Turkish lines but are bombed out in intense close fighting. Many men do not get that far and the division loses a total of 1,600 men.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Elvin Alfred Scott MC (Royal Garrison Artillery) is killed at age 28. His brother was killed in May 1915.
- Second Lieutenant William Dering Stainbank (Royal Field Artillery) dies at home at age 24. His brother will be killed in action in July 1917.
- Sapper Frederick Ernest Deller (Royal Engineers) dies of wounds at age 23. His brother will be killed in April 1918.
- Private Percy Francis Boulter (Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry) is killed. His brother will be killed in August of this year.
- Private and sniper William Greenlees (Manchester Regiment) dies of wounds received in action. He is the middle of three brothers who are killed in the war.