Tuesday 11 April 1916 – We Lost 294
Today’s losses include:
- A battalion commander
- A man who came from Mexico to join the forces
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- A man accidentally killed by a fellow soldier
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Francis Ferguson Davie (commanding 51st Sikhs) dies of wounds at age 48. He served in Waziristan 1901-2 and is the son of ‘Sir’ William Augustus Ferguson Davie who lost another son in May 1915.
- Lieutenant Louis Latham Baird (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in action at age 33. He came from Mexico to serve in the Great War.
- Lieutenant Charles Leeke (Grenadier Guards) dies of wounds received on the 7th at age 29. His brother was killed last November and they are sons of the Honorable Mrs. Leeke.
- Lieutenant Frank Edward Brewster (Australian Machine Gun Corps) is accidentally shot and killed by Lieutenant Congdon at age 30. He has two brothers who will be killed in the War.
- Private Horace Leonard Dunn (City of London Yeomanry) dies in Egypt.
- Private Herbert Henry Wood (Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry) is killed at age 22. His brother will die at home on service in July 1918.