Monday 17 April 1916 – We Lost 411
British retake Beit Aiessa Mesopotamia.
Germans are in force at Kondoa Irangi German East Africa.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major Arthur Forbes (Indian Pioneers) is killed in action at age 35, eleven days after his brother was killed on the same front.
- Captain Edward Fleetwood Berry (Gurkha Rifles) is killed at age 27. He is the son of the son of the Reverend James Fleetwood Berry Rector of Galway.
- Captain Charles Edward Cecil Hill (Highland Light Infantry) is killed at Kut. He is the son of Canon Hill Rector of Bury.
- Lieutenant Montague Forwood Ainslie (Liverpool Regiment) is killed at age 23. He is the son of Richard M Ainslie Vicar of Childwall Parish Church.
- Sergeant Arthur Leonard Walford DCM (Gloucestershire Regiment) is killed at age 25. His brother will be killed in June 1918.
- Private Joseph Frank Bamsey (New Brunswick Regiment) dies on service at age 25 at home. His brother died in January 1915.