Thursday 20 April 1916 – We Lost 383
The disguised German warship Aud is scuttled while trying to land arms on the Irish coast.
British forces again attack the Turks at Sannaiyat but again fail.
Today’s losses include:
- A battalion commander
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Colonel Ernest Codrington (commanding 120th Rajputana Infantry) is killed in the attack at age 49. He is the son of the Reverend Richard Gibson Codrington.
- Lieutenant Isaac Harvey Hodgson (Border Regiment) is killed at age 24. His brother was killed last June.
- Second Lieutenant Richard Arthur Maurice Lutener (Shropshire Light Infantry) is killed at age 20. He is the son of the Reverend C Lutener Vicar of Clun.
- Sergeant Edward William Stephens (Gloucestershire Regiment) is killed at age 24 and Private Harry Sallabanks (Bedfordshire Regiment) is killed at age 21. Both will have brothers killed later in the war Stephens in September 1917 and Sallabanks in June 1918.