Wednesday 3 May 1916 – We Lost 284
A military service bill extending compulsion to married men is introduced.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a General
- The son of a member of the clergy
- A man who will lose two brothers in the Great War
- A man who will lose a brother in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Gilbert Meade Gerard (Highland Light Infantry) is killed in action at age 27 in Mesopotamia. He is the son of the late General ‘Sir’ Montague Gerard Gilbert.
- Private Frederick Thomas Bolland (Staffordshire Yeomanry) is killed in action at age 24 in Egypt. His brother will be killed in June 1918.
- Private Mervyn Boyson (Northamptonshire Regiment) dies of wounds at age 22. He is the first of three brothers who will be killed in the Great War.
- Private William Gregson Blackledge (Gloucestershire Regiment) dies at Bristol of enteric fever at age 19. He is the son of the Reverend Robert Thomas Blackledge Christ Church Rectory, Denton.