Friday 5 May 1916 – We Lost 334
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- A man whose son was killed last March
- A man who will have a brother killed in the Great War
- A man who will have two brothers killed in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Robert Wilkie Henderson Edis (Middlesex Regiment attached Norfolk Regiment) dies at home at age 52. He is the son of Colonel ‘Sir’ Robert William Edis DL JP.
- Lieutenant Francis J Hadden (Army Service Corps) dies on service in Egypt. His son was killed in action in March in Mesopotamia.
- Sub Lieutenant Cyril John Ashley Mullens (Royal Naval Air Service) is shot down and killed in air combat at sea at age 18. He is the only son of ‘Sir’ John A Mullins and was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge.
- Sergeant John Worthington Farrow (Manchester Regiment) is killed at age 22. His brother was killed last August.
- Private Samuel Beck (Australian Infantry) is killed. His brother will be killed in a railway accident in March 1917.
- Private William Webster Murray (Royal Scots) is killed at age 23. He has two brothers who will be killed over the next two years.