Sunday 7 May 1916 – We Lost 203
Today’s losses include:
- A Naval Surgeon General
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- A man who will have two brothers killed in the Great War
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Deputy Surgeon General Cyril James Mansfield MVO (Royal Navy) dies of blood poisoning. He is the son of the Reverend Edward Mansfield.
- Captain Herbert Charles Bruce Cummins (Seaforth Highlanders) dies of wounds received in action at age 39. He is the son of the Reverend William Henry Bruce Cummins.
- Lieutenant Edmund Oswald Griffith Williams-Meyrick (Welsh Fusiliers) dies at age 39 at Gibraltar. He is the son of the Reverend John Meyrick Williams Rector of Beaumaris.
- Private William Henry Heaphy (Irish Guards) dies of wounds received at Ypres at age 33. He is one of three brothers who made the supreme sacrifice.
- Private Walter Jeffs (Bedfordshire Regiment) dies of wounds at age 22. His brother was killed in action last May.
- Private Richard F Arthur Westphal (Royal Fusiliers) is killed at age 19. His brother will be killed in April 1917 and they are sons of Bishop Westphal.
- Private Roderick Morgan Smith (Durham Light Infantry) is killed at age 20. His brother will be killed in December.