Monday 15 May 1916 – We Lost 272
There is fighting on Vimy Ridge.
Captain Henry Evelyn Arthur Platt (Coldstream Guards) is killed in action near Ypres. He has served since August 1914 and wrote the following lines a few days before his death: –
To A Soldier
Say not of him “He left this vale of tears”,
Who loved the good plain English phrase
Nor state “he nobly lived (or otherwise)
Failed or succeeded” – friend, just say
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Baronet
- An International Rugby player
- A police officer
- A man whose brother was killed in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant John Torrington Morris (Welsh Fusiliers) is killed. He is the son of ‘Sir’ Robert Armie Morris 4th
- Private Jan William Hunter Morkel (Mounted Commandos, South African Forces) dies of dysentery in East Africa at age 25. He is an International Rugby Football player who took part in the 1912-13 South Africa rugby union tour and won four caps.
- Private William Henry Barnard (Sussex Regiment) dies of wounds at age 31. He is a policeman.
- Private Robert Jones (Cheshire Regiment) is killed at age 26. His brother was killed last July.