Monday 22 May 1916 – We Lost 352
The British defeat Ali Dinar Sultan of Darfur at Beringia.
The trawler Merse (Skipper Frederick Richard Beckett) is sunk by a mine off the west coast of Scotland laid by UC-65. Seventeen are killed including her skipper.
Today’s losses include:
- A son of a member of the clergy
- The son-in-law of a member of the clergy
- A man who lost a brother in the South Africa War and one in the Great War
- A descendant of Kings Henry VII and Edward III
- The grandson of a Justice of the Peace
- The son-in-law of a Justice of the Peace
- The son of an Admiral
- A man shot at dawn
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major Reginald Thomas Annesley Ball-Acton (King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry) is killed at age 38. He the son in law of the Reverend William Richmond and his brother was killed in September 1915. They lost a younger brother in the South Africa War at Paardeburg in February 1900.
- Captain Capel Lisle Aylett Branfill (Glamorgan Yeomanry) dies of pneumonia in Cairo at age 29. He is the grandson of Richard Hanbury Miers JP and the son in law of Philip Seymour Williams JP. He is also descent from Kings of England, 14th in descent from Henry VII and 21st in descent from Edward III.
- Captain Hobart Brooks Farquhar (London Regiment) is killed in action at age 41. He is the son of the late Admiral ‘Sir’ Arthur Farquhar KCB and son-in-law of ‘Sir’ John Wolfe Barry KCB and a veteran of the Matabele and South African Wars.
- Second Lieutenant George Archibald Colin Lomas DCM (London Regiment) is killed at age 28. He is the son of the Reverend Charles Lomas.
- Corporal George Henry Bolton (Suffolk Regiment) is killed in action at age 29. His brother will be killed in November.
- Private George G Veness (Sussex Regiment) dies of wounds at age 26. His brother will be killed next month.
- Private William Henry Burrell (Sussex Regiment) is executed by firing squad at age 21. He deserted in 1915 and was arrested, tried and sentenced to death. His sentence was commuted to one year in prison and he was released last month and immediately deserted again. His brother was killed in March of this year.