Tuesday 23 May 1916 – We Lost 343
A torpedo attack by the submarine E18 on the German destroyer V100 blows the bow of the ship off. Even though severely damaged the destroyer manages to limp back to port.
The forces of the Sultan of Darfur are bombed a day after they have been broken. This bombing raid causes such panic in the ranks that the British are able to enter El Fasher virtually unopposed. All danger to Sudan from the Sultan of Darfur ends with this incident.
Today’s losses include:
- A General
- A Battalion Commander
- A Military Chaplain
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two or three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Brigadier Colquhoun Grant Morrison CMG (General Staff) President of the Claims Commission is killed in an auto accident at age 56.
- Lieutenant Colonel Algernon Bingham Anstruther Stewart DSO (commanding 1st/4th Seaforth Highlanders) is killed in action at age 46.
- Chaplain Robert Mansel Kirwan dies at age 55 in London after an operation. He was Chaplain to the Expeditionary Force to Mesopotamia and the son of the Reverend Richard Kirwan Rural Dean of Honiton and his wife Rose Helen Kirwan. He served as Chaplain to the Tirah Expeditionary Force between 1897 and 1898.
- Second Lieutenant John Douglas Wyld McMichael (Worcestershire Regiment) is killed at age 24. He is the son of Douglas McMichael JP.
- Second Lieutenant Guy Victor Edmunds (London Regiment) is killed at age 19. His brother will be killed in March 1918.
- Private Van de Heriz (Australian Infantry) died on service in Egypt. He is the son of the Reverend Lionel Forbes Van Smith de Heriz who will lose two other sons in the Great War.
- Private Montague Henry Frost (Suffolk Regiment) dies of wounds at age 25. He is the second of three brothers who will be killed over a 4 month period.
- Private Henry Edward Beesley (Rifle Brigade) is killed in action. His brother will be killed in July.
- Private Ernest Levi Brown (Lincolnshire Regiment) is killed. His brother will be killed in January 1918.