Friday 26 May 1916 – We Lost 241
Today’s losses include:
- A Military Chaplain
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A family that will lose three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Chaplain ‘the Reverend’ Lewis Joseph Matthews dies on service. He served in the Nile 1898 and South Africa War.
- Private John C Payne (Hertfordshire Regiment) is killed. His brother was killed last May.
- Private Alexander Desmond Hanney (Berkshire Regiment) dies of wounds at age 18. He is the last of three brothers who have lost their lives over the last year.
- Private George Charles Wagg (Wiltshire Regiment) dies of wounds received when he is accidentally shot in the trenches at age 21. His brother was killed in the first month of the war.
- Private Richard Francis Jarvis (Dorsetshire Regiment) is killed in Mesopotamia at age 24. His brother will be killed in June 1917.