Wednesday 21 June 1916 – We Lost 252
The Corton Light Vessel (Master William Henry Emmerson Rudd) is sunk when she strikes a mine four miles east northeaset from Lowestoft. Five are killed including her 59-year old master.
Today’s losses include:
- A man whose father was killed last year
- The son of a member of the clergy
- Multiple families that will two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain John Lyonel Lukin Johnston (Leinster Regiment) is killed at age 20. He is the son of the Reverend Robert Edwin Johnston Vicar of Marden.
- Lieutenant Hugh Elliot (Liverpool Regiment) is killed in action on Salonika at age 20. His father Hugh was killed in action in July 1915.
- Sergeant William Chapman (Essex Regiment) dies on service in Palestine. His brother was killed in action last December.
- Private Sidney Richard Murden (Northamptonshire Regiment) is killed at age 24. His brother will be killed next August.