British artillery bombardments begin preliminary to the attack to come soon on the Somme front.
British forces defeat the Germans at Makunda on the Lukigura River.
Today’s losses include:
- The grandson of an Admiral
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Matthew Arden Phillimore (Essex Regiment attached Royal Engineers) is killed in action at age 20. He was a King’s Scholar of Westminster and Exhibitioner at Christ Church, Oxford and grandson of Admiral ‘Sir’ Augustus Phillimore..
- Second Lieutenant William Brabazon Owens (Royal Engineers) dies at home. His brother will die of wounds next January.
- Lance Corporal Henry George Butler (North Staffordshire Regiment) is killed at age 28. His brother will be killed in October 1918.
- Private William Reginald Pimm (Lancaster Regiment) is killed at age 19. His brother was killed last month.