Sunday 25 June 1916 – We Lost 371
British artillery bombardments begin preliminary to the attack to come soon on the Somme front.
British forces defeat the Germans at Makunda on the Lukigura River.
Today’s losses include:
- The grandson of an Admiral
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Matthew Arden Phillimore (Essex Regiment attached Royal Engineers) is killed in action at age 20. He was a King’s Scholar of Westminster and Exhibitioner at Christ Church, Oxford and grandson of Admiral ‘Sir’ Augustus Phillimore..
- Second Lieutenant William Brabazon Owens (Royal Engineers) dies at home. His brother will die of wounds next January.
- Lance Corporal Henry George Butler (North Staffordshire Regiment) is killed at age 28. His brother will be killed in October 1918.
- Private William Reginald Pimm (Lancaster Regiment) is killed at age 19. His brother was killed last month.