Wednesday 30 August 1916 – We Lost 420
Today’s losses include:
- A Penarth Rugby Footballer
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Thomas Russell Crawley-Boevey (Gloucestershire Regiment) is killed in action at age 36. He is the second son of the late ‘Sir’ Thomas Crawley-Boevey to be killed in the Great War.
- Battery Sergeant Major Tom Bartlett (Royal Garrison Artillery) is killed at age 36. He is a member of the Penarth Rugby Club.
- Private Oliver William Devereux (Gloucestershire Regiment) is killed in action at age 23. His brother will be accidentally killed in February 1918.
- Private Arthur James Goodhall (Worcestershire Regiment) dies of wounds at home at age 35. His brother will be killed in July 1918.
- Private William Conway (Australian Infantry) is killed at age 28. His brother will be killed in May 1918.
- Private Leonard Sibbring (Machine Gun Corps) is killed at age 22. His brother will be killed next June.