Wednesday 20 September 1916 – We Lost 559
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- The son of a Baron
- The son of a member of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A Scotland International cricketer
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Arthur Franklin Willmer (Rifle Brigade) dies of wounds at age 26. He is the son of Arthur Washington Willmer JP.
- Captain Mark Lemon Ritchie Romer (King’s Royal Rifle Corps) dies of wounds at home at age 22. He is the son of Baron Mr. Justice Romer.
- Lieutenant Alfred Chegwin Flower (Grenadier Guards) dies of wounds at age 26. His brother will be killed in 1917 and they are sons of the Reverend Frederick Flower.
- Second Lieutenant Henry David Keigwin (Lancashire Fusiliers) is a cricketer for Essex and Scotland is killed at age 35.
- Lance Corporal Ernest Wingrove (London Regiment) is killed at age 23. His brother was killed last month.
- Private Frederick Henry Sackett (Warwickshire Regiment) is killed at age 23 three days after his younger brother was killed.