Lieutenant Ernest Conway Lansdale age 21 and Sergeant Albert Clarkson (Royal Flying Corps) are shot down and killed by Manfred von Richthofen as his third victims. News of Sergeant Clarkson’s death will be received by his mother at the moment her husband’s funeral entourage is about to leave for his burial having died two weeks after his son.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Francis Edward Townsend (Durham Light Infantry) is killed at age 23. His brother will be killed next February.
- Second Lieutenant Cyril Henry Marshall King (General List attached Royal Flying Corps) is accidentally killed at age 23. He is the son of the Reverend E G King DD.
- Second Lieutenant Harold William Cottrell (South Lancashire Regiment) is killed at age 18. His brother was killed in May 1915.
- Private Walter Beckett Hide (Sussex Regiment) is killed at age 34. His brother was killed earlier this month. Private
- Vernon Raymond Clear (Royal West Kent Regiment) is killed at age 21. His brother will be killed in October 1918.
- Colonel Blenman Buhot Grayfoot CB (Indian Medical Service) dies on service at age 56. He is the son of the Reverend C Grayfoot.