The Franconia, a Cunard liner requisitioned to act as a troopship, is torpedoed by the UB-47 one hundred ninety five miles east by south of Malta in the Mediterranean on route for Salonika under the command of Captain D S Miller. She is not carrying troops at the time (her normal capacity being 2,700), but twelve members of her crew are killed. The hospital ship Dover Castle picks up the survivors, totaling three hundred two.
German forces attack the British trenches near the Schwaben Redoubt, close to Thiepval. Grenades and flame-throwers are heavily involved. After the Germans are driven off the area suffers very heavy German artillery shelling and during that shelling
- Private Thomas Allen (Royal Berkshire Regiment) is killed at age 23. His brother was killed in September 1915.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- The son of a General
- A cricket international
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Skipper Frederick W Limbrick (HMS Unity Royal Naval Reserve) drowns when he is tossed from a small boat in a gale at Rosslare Harbour while being transferred to this command.
- Lieutenant Robert Keal Powell (North Staffordshire Regiment attached South Lancashire Regiment) is killed at age 21. He is the son of the Reverend John Keal Powell Rector of Armitage.
- Lieutenant Herbert Theodore Penrhys Evans (Royal Field Artillery) is killed at age 22. He is the son of Major General T J P Evans.
- Lieutenant Waldemar Sidney Marshall (Canadian Pioneers) dies of wounds at age 29. He is a cricket international and his brother was killed last May.
- Lance Corporal Eustace Addison Holt (Liverpool Regiment) is killed at age 31. He is the son of the Reverend George Owen Holt.
- Lance Corporal William Waggitt (Duke of Wellington’s Regiment) is killed in action at age 26. His brother will drown on active service in July 1917.
- Private Joseph Cowie Nichols (Canterbury Regiment) dies of wounds received at Flers at age 22. His brother Lieutenant C R Nichols also fell.
- Private Mathias Dove (Northumberland Fusiliers) is killed in action at age 25. His brother was killed in August of this year.
- Private Leonard Hobday (Machine Gun Corps) is killed at age 27 five days before his brother will die of wounds.
- Private William Plant (Canadian Cameron Highlanders) becomes the second of three brothers who are killed in the war.
- Private Matthias Dove (Northumberland Fusiliers) is killed at age 25. His brother was killed two months ago. Private Thomas T Huckstepp (East Kent Regiment) is killed. His brother will be killed in March 1918.