Monday 16 October 1916 – We Lost 400
The 19th Squadron Royal Flying Corps mounts a bombing raid on Hermies railway station just south of the Bapaume to Cambrai road at about the midway point. Of the eight that take off two will not return. The leader of the raid Captain Cecil Robert Tidswell age 36 will be killed as will Second Lieutenant John Thompson DCM age 23. Lieutenant Thompson will become the fifth victim of Manfred von Richthofen.
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- A battalion commander
- The daughter of a Justice of the Peace
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Colonel George Eustace Ripley (Northamptonshire Regiment) dies on service at home at age 52. He is the son of the Reverend Canon W N Ripley.
- Lieutenant Colonel Charles James Willoughby Hobbs DSO (commanding 2nd Sherwood Foresters) is killed at age 40.
- Major Arthur Thomas Constable (Essex Regiment) is killed at age 32. He is the son of the Reverend Thomas Constable Vicar of High Hurst.
- Lieutenant Edward Mervyn Carre (Lincolnshire Regiment attached Royal Flying Corps) is killed in action at age 22 when his BE2d is shot down east of Hebuterne. He is the son of the Reverend Arthur Augustus Carre, Rector of Smarden, Kent and his two brothers will also be killed in the Great War, the first in September 1915 and the second in November 1917.
- Second Lieutenant Edgar Adolph Joseph Sternberg (Royal Lancaster Regiment) is killed in action at age 26. His brother was killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.
- Private James Renwick Coutts (Cameron Highlanders) is killed at age 20. His brother will be killed in April 1917 and they both came from Chicago, Illinois to join the cause.
- Private Albert Pickup (Northumberland Fusiliers) is killed at age 39. He is the middle of three brothers who will be killed in the 3½ months beginning on the first day of the Battle of the Somme and ending tomorrow.
- Private Archibald James Harris (Hampshire Regiment) is killed at age 25 less than one month before his brother is killed.
- Matron Elizabeth Kelly Parker (Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service dies on service. She is the daughter of Joseph Donaldson Parker JP.