Tuesday 17 October 1916 – We Lost 442
At Thiepval troops in Schwaben Redoubt are shelled heavily all day.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a Justice of the Peace
- A 10-victory ace
- A victim of Oswald Boelcke
- A family that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A family that will lose three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Kelyth Pierce Lloyd-Williams (Welsh Regiment) is killed in action at age 21. He is the only son of Dr W Lloyd-Williams Justice of the Peace.
- Second Lieutenant Patrick Anthony Laugan Byrne DSO (Royal Flying Corps) is killed at age 21. He is a ten victory ace who is shot down by Oswald Boelcke.
- Lance Corporal William Musson (Sherwood Foresters) is killed. His brother will be killed in April 1917.
- Private Ernest Pickup (Cameronians) is killed at age 21. His two brothers were killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme and yesterday.