Wednesday 1 November 1916 – We Lost 447
Today’s losses include:
- An Oxford Assistant Master
- The son of a member of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
- A man shot at dawn
- A police constable
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain and Adjutant Carroll Herbert Marston Whiteside (Border Regiment) dies of wounds at age 24. He is an Oxford Assistant Master and the son of the Reverend Joseph Whiteside Rector of Plumstead.
- Private Frederick Moody Greenshields (Highland Light Infantry) is killed at age 22. His brother will be killed in May 1918.
- Private William Darts (Suffolk Regiment) is killed in action at age 32. His brother was killed less than one month ago.
- Private Alfred Leonard Jefferies (Somerset Light Infantry) is executed for desertion. His brother was killed in September, one month after Alfred deserted from the same regiment.
- Private Amos Paxton (Grenadier Guards) a police constable is killed at age 23. He is the last of three brothers who are all killed in the second half of this year.