Chaplain and Naval Instructor William Hall (HMS Venerable) dies of illness at age 49. He is the inventor of a Nautical Slide Rule and a member of Royal Astronomical Society.
Today’s losses include:
- The inventor of a Nautical Slide Rule
- A member of the Royal Astronomical Society
- A Battalion Commander
- A Naval Chaplin
- A Military Chaplain
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Lieutenant Colonel Owen Glendower Howell-Price DSO MC (commanding 3rd Australian Infantry) is the first of three brothers, all winners of the Military Cross to be killed within one year. He dies at age 26. They are sons of the late Reverend John Howell-Price.
- Chaplain John Campbell-MacGregor (Cameron Highlanders) dies on active service in Dieppe at age 46. He has been the Minister of St Oran’s Parish Church Edinburgh.
- Private H Gostling (East Yorkshire Regiment) dies of wounds at age 23. His brother will be killed in March 1918.
- Driver Albert Edward Roberts (Royal Field Artillery) is killed in Baghdad. His brother was killed last July.