Tuesday 7 November 1916 – We Lost 294
Today’s losses include:
- Multiple sons of members of the clergy
- Multiple families that will lose two and three sons in the Great War
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Captain Haworth Walter Trefusis (Northamptonshire Regiment) is killed at age 34. He is the son of the Right Reverend Robert Edward Trefusis Bishop of Crediton and his brother was killed in action four months earlier.
- Lieutenant John O’Connell Dodd (Munster Fusiliers) is killed in action at age 35. His younger brothers will die in the service of their King one year to day apart, the first in October 1917 the second in October 1918.
- Second Lieutenant Leonard Harris Cowper (Northumberland Fusiliers) dies of wounds received the previous day at age 19. He is the son of the Reverend Herbert William Cowper.
- Rifleman John Harold Walters (London Regiment) dies of wounds at home at age 22. His brother will be killed in April 1918.