Today marks the end of the first phase of the Battle for Ancre which began on the Somme on the 3rd of this month.
Today’s losses include:
- A grandson of a General
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- A family that will lose three sons in the Great War
- The son of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Second Lieutenant Richard Jenkins (Manchester Regiment attached Gloucestershire Regiment) is killed in action at age 24. He is the son of the late Reverend John Jenkins, who has two others sons who will fall in the Great War.
- Corporal Thomas Bourchier Cave (British Columbia Regiment) is killed at age 27. He is the grandson of General ‘Sir’ George Bourchier.
- Lance Corporal Charles James Toogood (British Columbia Regiment) is killed at age 29. His brother will be killed next August.
- Private James Frederick Durham (Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry) is killed at age 22 one month after his brother met the same fate.