HM Trawler Burnley (Skipper Robert Edward Page) is sunk by a mine off Orfordness. Her skipper is killed at age 54.
Today’s losses include:
- The son of a late Honourable Chief Justice
- Multiple families that will lose two sons in the Great War
- The son of a member of the clergy
Today’s highlighted casualties include:
- Major John Redmond Meredith (General List and Canadian Infantry) dies at home at age 38. He is the son of the late Honorable Chief Justice ‘Sir’ William Ralph Meredith.
- Second Lieutenant Basil Lister James (East Kent Regiment attached North Lancashire Regiment) is killed at age 21. His brother will be killed in May 1917 and they are sons of the Reverend Charles Lister James.
- Sergeant William Ward MM (Quebec Regiment) is killed in action at age 29. His brother was killed in April of this year.
- Private Henry French (Bedfordshire Regiment) dies of wounds received in action at age 26. His brother will be killed in April 1917.
- Private Herbert Gerald Montagu (Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry) is killed at age 24. His brother will be lost in the crash of HM Airship R 38 on 24th August 1921.